changing lives through learning
USM – LEVEL 2 AWARD
Understanding Substance Misuse
About the course
This qualification is designed for learners who wish to develop their knowledge and understanding of substance misuse in order to:
• raise awareness of substance misuse and its consequences
• improve the knowledge, awareness, understanding and effectiveness of those currently working in the field of substance misuse or supporting people involved in substance misuse
• working to prevent substance misuse.
Who is it for?
• Youth workers
• Parents and carers
• Those involved in caring for or supporting others in any capacity.
What will I do on this course?
The course will include activities, discussion, teaching and media clips to enable students to gain knowledge and understanding of:
• The characteristics of alcohol and different drugs
• How drugs and alcohol are used and their effects
• Health consequences of substance use/misuse
• Warning signs and symptoms of substance misuse
• Attitudes towards alcohol and drugs and their misuse and the misusers
• Understanding the reasons for substance misuse and patterns of dependency
• The impact of substance misuse on individuals and society.
How is the course assessed?
Students prepare portfolios as the course progresses and will receive regular feedback so that they know they are meeting the criteria. The portfolio will include a Personal Learning Journal which will reflect on learning throughout the course, evidence sheets to show learning on specific areas, and 2 small assignments.
There is no external assessment. The training centre has responsibility to assess all the student work as meeting the standard required.
Candidates must be at least 16 years of age. There are no entry requirements for previous training or experience.
Start Date: September
Hours in college per week: 5
Personal study : 2 hours per week
Duration: 30 hours over 6 weeks
Location: Worthing College
The course achieves 5 learning credits and is entered on the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).
Progression routes could include:
• Level 2 or Level 3 NYQ in Health and Social Care
• Level 2 Counselling Skills Course
• Level 3 Substance Misuse Course